Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween with the kids!

Halloween started out like any other morning, for me. I kissed the kids round rosy cheeks, and prepared myself for the day. For Camdyn; however, it started out much differently. Her day started with a sprint to the closet in what seemed like an attempt to be the first kid in her costume...in America. She pulled the closet doors open, yanked the hanger down and stared at the shimmering costume before her. This was like Christmas morning for her, shes a bit like her aunt Nicole when it comes to this. She asked if she could put her costume on, it was 7:30 a.m. but I thought, why not. So she started with the black shimmery tights with the orange, purple and silver stars, soon her bare legs were covered. Then she quickly pulled the black iridescent dress over her bed head, the light catching every sparkly thread on the way. Soon, I had a beautiful blond witch standing before me. The grin on her face is indescribable, but it’s the moment we as parents live for. With this quick transformation, I had the happiest girl on the block. She scurried through the house prancing like a princess, and then she said “Mom, Cade needs his costume on too.”

We made our way back to the kids’ bedroom and pulled out Cades costume. The grass green color and long shiny tail made it hard to miss. I didn’t think Cade would have quite as good of a reaction, due to the unknown reason of wearing a costume…although lest be honest Cades costume was more of a glorified sweat suit ! But when I put the first sleeve in, his face lit up. He somehow knew that he was being transformed. By the time I had his last leg in his costume, er sweatpants, he was grinning from ear to ear. It was magical. He even let me put the hood up for the entire day, which led to a sweaty head, which led to curly hair – and I loved it! I had a handsome dragon to go along with my beautiful witch.

What came next is what brought me back to reality. I unfortunately got another migraine. It was as if I couldn’t miss a weekend without one. I was devastated, not only because I would eventually spend the rest of the afternoon with my head over the toilet and grimacing from the pain of the headache, but because I would miss my children’s smiles. Luckily for me it only lasted about 5 hours, so I had some time to hang out with the kids later in the day.

Once I felt like I could make it out of the bedroom without throwing up again (way too much information), I drug myself to the kitchen to carve a pumpkin. For those who have had a migraine, you know how tortuous this is, but it was worth it to spend the time with my kids. We drew the face on, the first one was a little “weak” according to Camdyn. So we completed another, and this time she was quite impressed.

After the pumpkin carving, we waited for the Wiig family to arrive. Once they arrived we headed out with our witch, dragon and ballerina. Trick or treating was a lot more fun this year, since Camdyn actually had an idea of what was going on. The first house was a little confusing for her, instead of ringing the doorbell she just hollered at the door “TRICK OR TREAT!” After a little explaining we had successful candy-getting with very few interruptions. One house, however, decided to tell Camdyn that she could take two pieces. So at the next house when the woman told Camdyn to pick one piece of Candy, Camdyn informed her that the previous neighbor had offered her two. It was hilarious, Camdyn is such a negotiator! One other house, we had a man dressed up in a mask, ready to scare the kids. She was a little scared, as she clenched onto my hand, but she proceeded up there as nothing was going to stand between her and the candy. Before we could finish Camdyn had to makre sure her tote was FULL, luckily for us her theory of full is much different than our theory…and we were done at half full. We made it home with three happy kids!! Here are some pictures!!



 Dragons still like to slide!
 crash and burn!  The tail was really throwing him off!

 Great Grandpa and Grandma's house...trick or treat!
 Great Grandpa and Grandma, and Grandma with the kids!
 Drawing the face on before carving
 Cade, Camdyn and Haylee
 Kyle with the kids!
Camdyn double fisting, she was carrying Haylees for her!
 The boys taking the kids up to the door!
Cade and Haylee, they will be best buds!
 Haylee and me!

1 comment:

April Lynn said...

oh my gosh!!! i love it!!! they were so cute!